Monday, March 18, 2013

Egg Retrieval

Let me just start out by saying that I am so glad to have this part of our journey over and done with!

Surgery Center waiting room

Sunday (March 17) was our retrieval, it seemed like such an odd day to have a procedure, but I really liked it because the clinic wasn't as busy as they usually are. They had 3 retrievals Sunday morning, myself included.  I wasn't actually nervous at all, I was just so ready to get all of the eggs out.

My poor pin-cushion stomach right before the retrieval

So first off, I loved how I was treated, it really felt like I was getting first class treatment the entire time I was there. I got warm blankets on several occasions, I had a really nice private room before the surgery, then I was in a really nice, and clean recovery area with nurses checking up on me every few minutes. I also had this strange, yet lovely pillow/blanket contraption (this is a very technical term) on me in recovery that circulated warm air through it, it kept me all kinds of warm and cozy. Overall, it was great, and it went so smoothly.

Pillow/blanket warming thing



Before
After

In total, they retrieved 32 eggs from me. They kept the eggs and the sperm separate until the end of the day, and they said they'd be fertilizing the eggs Sunday night. Last night, once all of my anesthesia wore off, hubby and I were talking about how odd it was to think that our future child/children were being conceived as we were discussing it. We got the progress report call this morning about how things went last night. Out of my 32 eggs that were retrieved, 20 were mature enough to try to fertilize. Of that 20, we have 15 that have fertilized. They will check them again on day 3, (Wednesday) and let us know how they are doing.  They will then check them again on day 5 and 6. (Friday & Saturday) The hope is that we get some really nice day 5 Blastocysts to freeze. Day 5's are considered a little better than day 6 Blastocysts, but honestly, we will take whatever we can get. :)

Also, I am extremely worried about OHSS at this point. I am feeling so bloated and awful, the bloating is almost worse now than it was before the retrieval. I have been so good about drinking tons of Gatorade, and I've been consuming tons of salt, but I just don't think it is helping. I will know more on Friday when I go in for the ultrasound to check for OHSS, but until then, I am quite concerned. For at least the past 7 years of my life I have always weighed between 135 lbs-140 lbs. But yesterday I weighed 153 lbs, luckily today I'm down to 149 lbs. Hopefully the pain and the weight just continues to go down between now and Friday.  I don't actually care about the weight itself, once I can start running and doing my yoga again I am sure I will be back down to my normal weight, but I just want to make sure that I don't have OHSS.  They have been so concerned about that with me, and bringing it up constantly, so maybe it's making me even more paranoid than I should be? Only time will tell, I suppose. I have also been told that I should get a period in about 10 days, so I think that will probably be extremely helpful as far as getting back to my old self.

So now we are back playing the oh-so-familiar waiting game. We are eagerly awaiting information regarding our embryos. I am also eagerly awaiting my period. Not only am I hoping to get some relief with AF, but I will also be starting my first month on Lupron Depot on cycle day 3. I sure hope that my 2 months on Lupron Depot go fast, I am so anxious to get an embryo (or two) in me very soon..

Hope everyone is doing well!

XOXO




3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of eggs. Glad you didn't get OHSS. Hope the waiting goes by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how you went with your egg retrieval. Great numbers. Don't worry bout your weight, I was the same, it takes a little while to get back in your routine after egg retrieval. I had half your numbers but it took me a good 2 weeks to feel 100% better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps GOOD LUCK & fingers crossed for you

    ReplyDelete