Friday, March 15, 2013

Trigger Time!

I am so happy to report that my retrieval is officially set for Sunday! All throughout the week it was still looking like Monday would be the day, but towards the end here I had a little growth spurt. No complaints from me, I am so uncomfortable all of the time these days. I would describe it as extreme pressure, cramping, and fullness in my midsection.  I also get random nausea and hot flashes, but those come and go so they are more tolerable. I have also become sooo emotional, every little thing has made me cry over the past few days. Even the smallest, dumbest things have triggered the waterworks for me.

Today, when I went in for my daily tests I had 25-30 maturing follicles, the top 50% were ranging in size from 17-21mm. Those sizes are right in the window for triggering, so I was not too surprised when my nurse told me that they were going to do the retrieval a day earlier.

So I am officially DONE with stim meds. Menopur, you will definitely not be missed! I will be doing my first Lupron trigger tonight at 11pm, and I will be doing the second one at 11am tomorrow. I will also be going in early tomorrow morning for one last blood test. The light at the end of the tunnel is here, and I am so happy to be here at the home stretch.

On a quick side note, Lupron triggers are not actually the most commonly used method for triggering, HCG trigger shots are far more common.  This is specific to my protocol because I am considered "high risk" for OHSS (Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.) As I have mentioned before, I have been super sensitive to all of the stim meds, which is why I have been able to produce/mature so many follicles on such low dosages. It has been great for the amount of money we have had to spend on meds, but I still might be overstimulating even on the low dosages. The Lupron trigger is ideal for me because it helps to significantly reduce OHSS, I will still need to come in for an ultrasound 5 days after the retrieval to check for OHSS though.  I believe Lupron is only used as a trigger if all of the embryos are being frozen, I think it's bad for a fresh transfer.

I can safely say that this has been one of the longest weeks of my entire life, but at the end of the day, I know it has all been worth it. Even though I will still have 2 months on Lupron Depot before the transfer, this was just one huge step closer to the final finish line for us. I am not nervous at all for the surgery, just anxious, I will really be happy to have it over and done with.

I will be back very soon with updates!

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. So excited for you! Wishing you the best of luck for your retrieval on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great result with the number of follicles.
    Good luck with the retrieval tomorrow. Remember plenty of rest after!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh yes, I slept pretty much all day, it was lovely! :)

      Delete